In conjunction with the New Athens Fire Protection District, the Village of New Athens is well prepared should an unforeseen disaster occur. A well trained response team is available to handle any situation as the need arises. The New Athens Police Department is also an active member of the Illinois Law Enforcement Alarm System.
Emergency Siren signals
The ESDA Department has established the following designations
- WAIL- similar to the siren on a fire truck. Used calling emergency services for extra help
- TORNADO – tone rises and falls quickly. Used for warning residents of a severe situation and to take cover
- HI-LOW – alternating high/low tones. Used for evacuation
- ATTACK – one steady high tone. Used to warn of an enemy attack
- AIR HORN – pulsating fog horn sound. Used preceding a public address announcement
All tones are tested on a rotating basis on the first Tuesday of each month at 10:00 AM.
Questions or comments concerning the ESDA Emergency Response team or the emergency preparedness manual should be directed to the Village Clerk